One of the most frequent questions that I am asked is, “How do you always get kids to smile for pictures?” The truth is, I don’t. I mean, they smile for pictures, but if I’m being 100 % honest. There are plenty of times they won’t. That being said, I do have a few tips and I thought I would share them with you!
1. Ask Questions Get them talking! I haven't met a child, tween, or teen that doesn't like to talk about himself. Ask them questions about their favorite food, activity, song...you name it! But the most important part is listening. Really hear their answers and respond. You'll be shocked at what you learn;)
2. Laugh. Not them-YOU! If you want them to have fun then YOU have to have fun, too. People reflect the energy they see and kids are no different.
3. Dance to Some Music. Babies love it. Toddlers groove to it. Teens are so annoyed by it.....but they all laugh. If you really want a giggle then YOU do the dancing! Nothing makes children laugh (and blush) more than watching their dad do the lawn mower in public.
4. Play. By now you know that I'm a sucker for movement. Get moving. Play a game! Movement almost always brings smiles and laughter. Try simon says, red light, green light, acting like an animal, hide and seek.... just get moving!
5. Compliments. Who doesn't like to hear how pretty they are or what an amazing smile they have?? Better yet-show them a photo that you just captured while giving them a compliment. Double win!
Hopefully this gave you a couple new ideas and tricks about capturing those beautiful smiles and amazing personalities. Do you have any additional tricks to getting authentic smiles from your kids? I would love to hear from you, comment below!
Contact me to book your session.